Saturday, April 19, 2008

Our neighbor, Jane

Jane is 85 years old and has lived in the house across the street for 50 years. She’s been a widow for over 20 years and doesn’t have any children. She gave up her old car a few years ago after a fall in her bathroom. Jane has recovered from the fall, but is still unsteady on her feet. I often see her sitting in her wheelchair in the middle of her driveway, just soaking up the sun.

Today I found Jane at my front door. She had pushed the wheelchair across the street and had a bottle of Italian salad dressing sitting in a plastic cup on the seat. “Would you open up my bottle for me? I just can’t do it.” I easily unscrewed the top. And then she told me a story.

About eight years ago, her bike was stolen from her shed. It had training wheels on it. Her husband was going to teach her how to ride the bike, but he never did. He died before he got the chance. Yesterday morning, when she went out to get her newspaper, she found the shed door open. “What did they take this time?” she wondered. As she peered in the shed, there was her bike, training wheels and all! Jane then called the pastor of the local Hispanic church. She asked him to come over and get the bike. She wanted it to be put to good use. Besides, maybe it would get stolen again.

Jane is, indeed, a special neighbor.

1 comment:

Heather said...

That is an incredible story. I'm so glad you shared. H