Saturday, July 25, 2009

Our neighbor, Jane (4)

Jane fell again. Another neighbor, Cecelia, didn’t get a response to knocking on her door when she brought over some supper. She looked in the window and saw Jane’s leg. The paramedics had to break a window to get in.

Stubborn as ever, Jane refused to go the hospital. She had been lying on the floor for 36 hours, but thought she was perfectly fine. The paramedics finally convinced her that she needed to be checked over and explained that she was dehydrated.

After her last fall, Jane’s niece got a medical alert button for her to wear around her neck. I wondered why Jane didn’t use the button this time. When asked about it, Jane said, “If I pushed the button, the paramedics would come. And I didn’t want them to come.”

Jane is in a nursing home now. They say she needs to regain her strength before she can go back home. I’m hoping she’ll come home soon. But I worry about her.

No comments: