Thursday, July 3, 2008

Wine

When Lauren was 17, we took a little day trip to Prescott. It's fun to walk around the courthouse and window shop in the old buildings. We happened upon a wine shop in the basement of one of those buildings and decided to do a little wine tasting. I'm not sure what Lauren drank, but she did pick out a bottle of wine, to be opened when she turned 21. We kept that bottle in the bottom of the fridge for four years, and when Lauren came home from college after turning 21, we all enjoyed that bottle of wine.

One bottle of wine was not a big deal to have in the fridge for four years, but recently it's been irritating me that the whole bottom shelf in the fridge is devoted to several bottles of more expensive wine. I know, I know. It's hot here in Phoenix. And you don't want good bottles of wine spoiling. But still, there is no room for leftovers, much less a casserole dish.

So on Saturday, we bought a wine cooler on-line from Costco and it arrived yesterday. It holds 35 bottles and keeps the wine at an ideal temperature. It's beautiful.

You see, I think our purchase was justified. We were just doing our civic duty. We spent some of the economic stimulus check that came in the mail last week from the IRS. We were being patriotic.

The refrigerator now has an empty shelf and I'm content.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I never actually tasted any wine that day, since I was only 17. I picked the bottle based only on the smell! And, boy, it was amazing after waiting those 4 years!

Heather said...

Cheers!!! A great way to help the economy! Kevin would be proud.