Sunday, September 7, 2008

Our neighbor, Jane (2)

After we got home yesterday, I noticed that Jane was in her driveway. I decided to walk over and ask her about all the stuff she had laid out in her back yard. She explained that her hot water heater had a leak and the whole utility room flooded. Someone came over this week and replaced the hot water heater and had pumped out the water, but now the stuff was drying out.

I asked if I could help her throw things out or put things back for her. We worked for a while, me trying to convince her to throw old boxes away, her saying she might need it. The back of the old dryer went in the trash, but she didn't want to throw away the screws - "someone could use them." I put the screws in my pocket and told her we could use them. (I threw the old screws away at home.) After we took care of half the stuff, she said she was hot and tired. So we stopped.

Making small talk, I asked Jane if she had watched the Democratic or Republican national conventions. She said she had watched all of it. Then she said, "I can't stand him." Not sure if she was referring to Obama or McCain, I waited. "I can't stand McCain, and don't get me started on that woman." "Sarah Palin?" I asked. "That's the one. Can't stand her either," Jane said. I didn't probe further. "I'll be voting for Obama," she said. "Me, too," I said.

No comments: