Sunday, May 11, 2008

Motherline

I've been re-reading "The Dance of the Dissident Daughter" by Sue Monk Kidd. I was struck once again just how patriarchal the church is. God is neither male nor female, right? So why do we always refer to God as "he?" The book explores the Feminine Divine. We can get a glimpse of the form and image of the Feminine Divine (intuitive, nurturing, listening, guiding wisdom) through the examples of the women in our lives, our mothers.

I would like to honor today those who have birthed us, the unfolding line of mothers and daughters. This is my motherline:

Daughters, Miriam and Lauren, and myself

My mother, Eunice

Her mother, Dora

And her mother, Oetje

"Every mother contains her daughter in herself and every daughter her mother and every mother extends backwards into her mother and forwards into her daughter." C. G. Jung

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful statement on motherhood. I feel so honored and thankful to be your daughter! ~ L

Anne said...

Ging, this is so beautiful it takes my breath away... thank you for your thoughts and pictures - and for completing this mothers' day in such heartfelt way...

love you! Anne

Heather said...

Ginger, those are beautiful sentiments and the the photos are wonderful!